The Montebello Fire Department formed a Fire Prevention Bureau in the 1940's, resulting in a staff of dedicated personnel with the goals of preventing loss of life and property. Through the years, the Fire Prevention Bureau has been tasked with additional duties and responsibilities, including the enforcement of fire laws, response to hazardous materials incidents, public education, and emergency preparedness. Recently, the Bureau has been renamed to the Fire Prevention Division.
The Fire Marshal provides fire prevention services to the City of Montebello.
The Fire Prevention Division of the City of Montebello Fire Department interacts with developers, architects, and engineers to meet fire protection and hazardous materials requirements for building and developments by reviewing all architectural blueprints, development plans, and proposals submitted in the City of Montebello. This includes conditional use permits, temporary use permits, Fire Code permits, site development, environmental impact reports, Fire and Building plan review, and underground tank plan review.
Fire Plan Review Submittal Requirements
- The licensed contractor commissioned to perform the work will submit and pick-up the plans.
- Completely fill out Fire Application 2020-2021
- Provide copies of all required State and City of Montebello business licenses
- Provide three sets of plans
- Plans shall be legible and scaled.
- Provide listings and specifications of all materials listed on plans
- Plan Check and Permit Fees are due upon submittal
Montebello Fire Department Submittal Requirements:
MFD Commerical Hood System Submittal Requirements
The City of Montebello Standard Operating Guidelines for the construction of buildings and roads in the City:
- Fire Access SOG
- Speed Humps/Bumps
- Radio Communication System for Emergency Responders
City of Montebello Specifications
- Fire Hydrant (1)
- Fire Hydrants (2)
- Knox Rapid Entry Systems
- FDC Signs
- PIV Signs
- Riser Signs
- Fire Lanes Signage
NFPA Testing and Certification Documentation:
- NFPA 72 Fire Alarm Record of Completion
- NFPA 13 Contractors Materials and Test Certificate for Underground Piping
- NFPA 13 Contractors Materials and Test Certificate for Aboveground Piping
Turnaround Time: The Plan Check turnaround is approximately 3-4 weeks.
Payment - Payment must be submitted with the plans. Where plans are completed, the plans examiner will contact the applicant and inform him or her. Checks should be made out to the "City of Montebello"